Physician dispensing refers to the fulfillment of a prescription, at the point of care, to a patient, either by the prescribing physician or another employee at the practice, for the patient to take home (as opposed to administering in the office). Physician dispensing saves time and money for patients, improves satisfaction and medication compliance, and can be an additional revenue source for healthcare providers.
In most states in the U.S., physicians have the right under their medical license to diagnose, prescribe, and dispense legend drugs, but the guidelines vary state-to-state regarding which practitioners are permitted to, and under what circumstances, provide medications to patients. For more information on state dispensing regulations, please see our Dispensing Regulations page.
PharmaLink’s web-based dispensing software makes the process quick and easy, requiring no additional staff. The dispensing process requires only a few steps:
- Select the patient from your patient list, or enter last name, first name and date of birth if new patient
- Select the medication to be dispensed
- Scan the barcode on the medication bottle using the scanner provided by PharmaLink
- System will verify against real-time inventory to ensure correct item was selected and the medication is not expired
- If dispensing a controlled substance, the system will verify that all required patient data has been entered and prompt for missing information
- Once submitted, the system will automatically print a patient-specific label, patient receipt, and patient information sheet
- Apply label to bottle, collect payment from patient, and provide medication, receipt (if desired) and information sheet to patient
That’s it! Once familiar with the system, dispensing typically requires no more than 30-45 seconds per dispense, meaning you do not need additional staff to operate your program. PharmaLink provides a scanner and label printer, so all you need is a computer with an internet connection and your local black and white printer.
For a free live demo, or if you have any questions, please complete the Contact Form and a PharmaLink representative will be in touch with you shortly!